Municipal Water

The City of Mequon Water Utility contracts with City Water LLC for work to be performed out in the field for water services. While the city finance employees handle billing and other financial aspects for the utility, City Water LLC performs maintenance/repair on water mains, meter swaps and installation, water shutoffs/connection and field checks on potential issue accounts.access

About Your Private Well

Please note that not all home have municipal water. Roughly 15% of homes have a private well. If your home is serviced by a private well, this comes with a few inherent responsibilities, such as periodic testing and pump maintenance. Almost all forms of testing can be obtained by contacting the Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene. Homeowners can obtain well testing kits by visiting the website, or calling 800-442-4618.

If you live at a home with a private well, you have the option to either keep your existing well after connection to the municipal water system or properly abandon the well.

  • Well Testing as part of Property Transfer
  • Well Abandonment - If you choose to abandon your well, you must have it done properly by following the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources guidelines. Contractors licensed in this field are responsible for filling out the proper permits and submitting the necessary paperwork to WI DNR.
  • Well Operation Permit - If you choose to keep your well, there are a few steps to complete.
    1. Make sure there is no cross connection between the municipal water supply and well water supply (this must be verified during your plumbing inspection).
    2. The well and pump shall have a history of producing safe water evidenced by at least 1 coliform bacteria sample performed by a certified laboratory.
    3. A certified well inspector must inspect the well and sign off that it is safe.
    4. Complete and pay for the well operation permit and submit all materials to the Bayside Village Hall for review.
Close window